Although only a stone’s throw from Stanford University’s campus, College Terrace actually derives its name from the 12 streets that were named after illustrious East Coast universities. For residents here, Yale, Harvard, and Columbia are the streets they call home. This endearing feature along with the quaint local library, and many Stanford staff and students who reside here, summon an almost academic setting, and this neighborhood has the ambiance of a college town.
Due to its proximity and convenience, Stanford has purchased many homes in the neighborhood, with increasing frequency over the years. These purchases have become a source of local consternation, but home values are benefitting from this demand. However, Stanford’s proximity is not the only draw for homeowners to this coveted neighborhood. Many residents are employed by Hewlett-Packard and nearby prestigious law firms such as Wilson Sonsini, White & Case, and Baker McKenzie, which are all within easy strolling distance.
Centrally located, College Terrace is pleasantly urban for Palo Alto with walkability to California Avenue restaurants and boutiques along with the Caltrain station and even a great walk at “the Dish” is possible for those seeking a vigorous workout. It is worth highlighting the exceptional neighborhoods of Southgate and Evergreen Park neighborhoods as well, which share a distinctively classic charm to their Old Palo Alto neighbor and can take advantage of walking to California Avenue without having to cross any major streets.
Ken enjoyed living on Amherst Street in College Terrace in an 1893 Victorian home that he lovingly restored. This home was originally owned by the first Latin Professor of Stanford, illustrating the strong ties to Stanford that this charming and eclectic neighborhood has.
- Stanford Avenue on the north
- El Camino Real on the east
- South California Avenue on the south
- Amherst Street on the west
- Walter Hays Elementary School (K-5) (#4 Elementary School in California)
- Escondido Elementary School (K-5) (#8 Elementary School in California)
- Jordan Middle School (6-8) (#3 Middle School in California)
- Palo Alto High School (#5 High School in California)
state-ranked according to niche.com
- College Terrace Library- 2300 Wellesley Street Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Downtown Library- 270 Forest Avenue Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Main Library- 1213 Newell Road Palo Alto, CA 94303
- Children’s Library- 1276 Harriet Street Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Cameron Park- 2100 Wellesley Street Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Mayfield Park- 2300 Wellesley Street Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Weisshaar Park- 2298 Dartmouth Street Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Werry Park- 2100 Dartmouth Street Palo Alto, CA 94301