The Foothills neighborhood is an equestrian’s dream. Home to the Westwind Barn and Byrne Preserve and with a Pathways trail system that crisscrosses throughout the town, it is not uncommon to see people on horseback in the Foothills. The rich history of the area permeates this neighborhood thanks to its rustic feel and breathtaking views of San Francisco Bay. Driving the streets of the Foothills, one can appreciate the beauty the American frontiersmen and Native Americans once experienced, despite being in a valley that has seen incredible growth and loss of open space.
Biking is also very common in the Foothills and throughout the Peninsula. It is a regular sight to see bikers climbing the steep and narrow streets of Page Mill, Moody, and Altamont, some of the main roads in this small residential-agricultural community.
The Foothills, with its sprawling mansions alongside single-story ranchers, has a small-town America feel. In this neighborhood, one can find horse stables in a neighbor’s front yards and vineyards growing on the hills of gated estates. Homes in the Foothills offer privacy and seclusion, and each home is unique and custom-built. Driving in this neighborhood, one can see Colonial-style architecture alongside Mediterranean architecture. Plenty of new construction can be seen throughout the Foothills.
Arastradero Road and Page Mill Road on the north
Interstate 280 on the east
El Monte Road and Moody Road on the south
Moody Road, Foothills Park, Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club on the west
Median Home Price:
$2,888,444 (2014, Single Family Residential)
No Listings Found (2104, Townhouse/Condo)
Number of Homes Sold:
27 (2014, Single Family Residential)
No Listings Found (2014, Townhouse/Condo)
- Los Altos Public Library, 13 South San Antonio Road, Los Altos
- Woodland Branch Library, 1975 Grant Road, Los Altos
- Foothills Park, 3300 Page Mill Road, Los Altos Hills
- Esther Clark Park, Old Adobe Road, Palo Alto
- Shoup Park, 400 University Avenue, Los Altos
- Lincoln Park, 199 University Avenue, Los Altos
- Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve, 22500 Cristo Rey Drive, Los Altos
- Gardner Bullis School, 25890 Fremont Road, Los Altos Hills (API 947)
- Lucille Nixon Elementary, 1711 Stanford Avenue, Palo Alto (API 955)
- Egan Junior High School, 100 West Portola Avenue, Los Altos (API 976)
- Terman Middle School, 655 Arastradero Road, Palo Alto (API 968)
- Los Altos High School, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos (API 895)
- Henry Gunn High School, 780 Arastradero Road, Palo Alto (API 917)
The Foothills, which borders Palo Alto Hills, is close to Foothills Park, a 1,400-acre open space park, and home to breathtaking Boronda Lake. South of Foothills Park, off of Moody Road, you will find Hidden Villa, an organic farm. Hidden Villa is located on 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Hidden Villa offers the community many programs, such as summer camps for children and public programs teaching community members how to milk cows and bake bread with recipes from around the world. A Catholic monastery is also hidden away in the Foothills on Natoma Road.
Foothill College is yet another asset of the Foothills Community. A two-year community college offering many associate degree programs, Foothill College is part of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District. Additionally, Foothill College’s architecture and design have received many accolades from the architecture community.
Most of the Foothills neighborhood falls into the prestigious Palo Alto Unified School District.